The Lake Merritt Master Plan, approved by voters in 2002, returned the long dormant historic Municipal Boathouse near to its original design. Built in 1909, […]
The Lake Merritt Master Plan, approved by voters in 2002, returned the long dormant historic Municipal Boathouse near to its original design. Built in 1909, the Boathouse was expanded in 1913, and is celebrated for its location alongside one of the largest urban lakes in the United States. Major structural, seismic, and historic renovation restored the ambiance and character of the building.
On the upper levels, a restaurant, a cafe, and a meeting room were replaced. On the lower levels, boating facilities were upgraded to meet current use requirements. Extensive site work was undertaken in the area around the Boathouse. The lawn was removed and the area regraded to support a parking lot for the restaurant. Walkway paths, stairs, low retaining walls, and reconstruction of the lake edge wall to the north and south of the building were also accomplished.
This project achieved LEED Silver Certification. The LEED features of the building included energy efficient light fixtures and equipment, low VOC-content finish materials, the installation of Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certified mahogany for the exterior windows and doors, a recycled content of 5% on materials put into the project, and the recycling of 75% on all waste material taken from the site.