Studio One, which was originally a children’s orphanage, was built in 1894 and is a candidate for historic landmark designation. The building was purchased by […]
Studio One, which was originally a children’s orphanage, was built in 1894 and is a candidate for historic landmark designation. The building was purchased by the City of Oakland in 1949 to be used as recreation center for art programs for adults and children.
The building was completely gutted and a new foundation and slab were poured. The exterior brick wall at the first floor was 100% repointed and new top-grade cedar shingles were scheduled to be installed over the existing exterior sheathing at the second floor. A new asphalt shingle roof was installed along with several 5-6 foot tall mechanical chimneys which had to be craned to the roof top. The new and improved art center includes a variety of art rooms including painting, jewelry, sculpture, pottery, lapidary, photography, glasswork, a performing arts theater, and a separate kiln building. The team earned a PG&E Savings by Design Award by incorporating sustainable materials and an energy efficient design into the new building. The restoration of this community center involved the cooperation and collaboration of various City agencies, staff, instructors, students, the Friends of Studio One and the Landmarks Preservation Board.